Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Before I get too far ahead of myself...

Holy cow we are almost a week into April and I haven't even gotten a chance to say goodbye to March yet. Well, here we are. March, you were a good month but I'm glad to say goodbye. It just means we're one month closer to race season, and that is an exciting prospect.

Here's a glimpse at my total training volume for the month:

Bike:24h 25m 31s - 463.72 Mi
Run:13h 12m 21s - 100.48 Mi
Swim:14h 21m 50s - 45700 Yd

It was a pretty solid month all around. Not nearly enough of those bike miles were outdoors, but I'm trying to rectify that this month. I was shocked at the running total. If you had told me at the beginning of January, after running all of 4 miles in December, that I would have a 100 mile month in March I would have laughed in your face and questioned your sanity. Thankfully the hip is holding up (I know I say that every week, but I still think about it every run and I will continue to do so until I get through Sept 12).

This month will be a little different training wise. I'm dropping a swim workout during the week so I'm 4/4/4 for s/b/r sessions. That will allow me, with the help of some crafty scheduling, to take a true rest day if needed. Currently I have been dedicated 2 days a week to just swimming, no running or biking, and not taking a true rest day. Recovery wise I feel that my body is appreciating this approach compared to what I've done in the past so I'm not entirely sure that I want to change anything. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

April should go quickly though. Like I said we're already a week in. I've got a 10k on the schedule and am contemplating another 5k just for the heck of it. I get to eat donuts during the race so it's hard to pass up. Then a short mini taper for Alcatraz and I'm off to San Francisco. It's going to be a short month indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment