Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Great Outdoors!

Man, I love running outside. I just wanted to let everyone know that.

When I got injured in November I had to stop running for a few months and even when I started up again the doctor's orders were to stay on the dreaded treadmill. I complied, grudgingly, however my recent trip took me to warmer weather that was impossible to resist. I sneaked (snuck?) in a couple of great, pain free outdoor runs and upon arrival back in Iowa I thought I might as well resurrect the outdoor workouts.

I prided myself on the fact last winter that I only let the unpredictable Iowa weather keep me indoors only once. If I did that last year surely I can do it the last month or so of this winter, right? Apparently not. A nice ice storm coated about a 1/4" of ice on everything the day I returned. Treadmill. The weekend warmed up though and enough of that ice melted to allow me to get out. I didn't even have to layer too much. Okay, back on track.

Then Monday rolled around and a literal blizzard blew through town. They even closed down pretty much the entire north south interstate of the state. Treadmill. But today, today I made it out again. Still a lot of snow on the ground so it was a slippery slidy sort of run, but the kind that I've really really missed in a sick and twisted sort of way.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to getting out again this weekend when the temps get down in the single digits. Did I mention I love running outside ;)

1 comment:

  1. Aren't things taken away from you a lot more special once they are returned - just like running!

    ReplyDelete